If you currently hold a Work Permit in Canada, and have presented an application for permanent residency, you might be able to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). This permit will allow you to keep your job or find a new one while your permanent resident application is processed.

Eligibility of the BOWP

To qualify, you must have applied for permanent residency under the FSW Program, CEC, FST Program, Provincial Nominee Program, or one of the two caregivers classes.

You must also:

  • currently be in Canada, and
  • have a valid Work Permit that will expire in less than four months.

When to apply for the BOWP

If you applied for permanent residency using the Express Entry system, you can apply for the BOWP as soon as you receive your Acknowledgment of Receipt (AoR) (automatically received on your EE account after submission of your application). You will need to add this letter as a supporting document for your BOWP application.

However, the BOWP will not be issued until your permanent residence application has been checked for completeness (R10 check) by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), which is done within the first couple of months of the processing of your application.

Our Features

The Success of our Solution

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

back top